Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Jackie Luo

Jackie Luo is an inertly talented photographer from Houston, Texas. Her focus on composition and clever combinations of location and models makes her work severely conspicuous in a world of static fashion photographers. Her versatile ability to mould with every shoot makes her an inspiration for many. Here is a link to her flickr and her website.
Here are some pictures taken by her and an interview.








































Tell us a bit about yourself. 
I'm a fifteen-year-old girl living in Texas, and I love all kinds of things, from fashion to philosophy to eighties movies to mathematics. I want to travel across the world and go to places like New Zealand, Brazil, and Norway. I have a million dreams that I want to fulfill, and hopefully, someday I will.

When did you start photographing? 
I started photographing seriously maybe eight months ago.

What got you interested?
I've always loved photography. Fashion has always been my thing, and photography is tied so closely with it. Beyond that, I just think that pictures can be so beautiful and expressive. They say so much. Being able to create something is incredibly important to me.

What does your camera equipment consist of? And what film do you prefer using?
I use a Canon Rebel 450D as my digital camera and both a Canon Rebel K2 and Minolta STsi for film. I love experimenting with different types of film, but I usually use Kodak or Fujifilm.

Who are your photography idols?
So many people inspire me! Tim Walker, Camilla Akrans, Nirrimi Hakanson, Sally Mann, Richard Avedon, Mariah Jelena, Antonella Arismendi, Andreas Ohlund, Sandra Freij, and Wai Lin Tse are just a few.

What music do you listen to? 
I listen to a variety of music, I guess. Some of my favorite artists are Michael Jackson, M83, Band of Horses, Crystal Castles, Fleet Foxes, The Presets, Fever Ray, Bee Gees, Florence + the Machine, Best Coast, and Vashti Bunyan. I'm also obsessed with dubstep.
 

What are your favorite artists/ authors? 
Recently, I've mostly been reading philosophy- Baudrillard, Nietzsche, Foucault, Zizek, etc.. But other authors that I love are Jeffrey Eugenides, George Orwell, Sylvia Plath, Robert Pirsig, John Green, and John Steinbeck. As for artists, I love Salvador Dali's work, as well as those of Gian Lorenzo Bernini and Antoni Gaudi.

One odd thing you love. 
I really love poking cheeks. Like, babies' cheeks.

If there was one person dead or alive you could shoot, who would it be? and why? 
Oh, I have no idea! Abbey Lee Kershaw, Gemma Ward, or Frida Gustavsson, I think. They're so gorgeous, and their beauty has this depth and versatility.

What is the soundtrack to your life?
I don't think I have a soundtrack to my life, but if I had to choose a song for it, maybe "Long Haul" by Voxtrot or "Here Before" by Vashti Bunyan.

What time of the day do you prefer shooting?
I usually like shooting at sunset or sunrise because the colors are so much lovelier and more subdued at that time. In Texas, the sun is generally harsh during the day, and I like to wait for the light to be gentler when I shoot.

Your favorite thing to shoot. 
My favorite thing to shoot is people. Each person expresses him- or herself so differently through a camera lens- it's wonderful to be able to capture stories and emotions and images.

Who/ what would you say is your biggest inspiration?
You could say that I'm inspired by youth, freedom, and innovation. People who inspire me to no end include Mark Zuckerberg and Sofia Coppola, two brilliant young people who never fail to amaze me with their creations.

What would you love to do with the rest of your life?
I'd love to spend the rest of my life building my legacy, something I can leave behind that people will remember.

One thing you're saving up for. 
One thing that I'm saving up for is a new camera! I'd love to shoot with a Canon 5D Mark II, although I don't think I'm quite up for it yet.
 
If you could choose one place in the world to live, where would it be?
If I could choose anywhere in the world to live, I'd be in New York City. It's such a cliche, I know, but there's nothing like the energy and life in that city. Otherwise, I'd love to be in London, Melbourne, Shanghai, or some secluded, wooded area of Europe where I could write and take pictures and learn, learn, learn.

3 comments:

  1. your best discovery. these pictures are phenomenal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank you :) and yes, she is absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing photos!! :) I am amazed how analog photography can be so stunning.

    ReplyDelete