Sunday, November 21, 2010

India

So, here's the thing, we have some interviews lined up with some really talented bloggers and friends for the next week. This is the beginning of spotlight week where we are going to be posting these interviews.


India Boxall, an 18 year old fashion blogger on lookbook from Hastings is our first. Her style mixes eccentric scientist with mellow vintage prints and pretty, muted fabrics and colors.
She pays careful attention to the classy pearls, fox tails and big thick-framed glasses she pairs with intense red baggy jumpers, Betty Boop type striped skirts to create an effortless, conspicuous sense of style.
From Lennon glasses to vintage pendants and everything that falls between, she puts them together impeccably with high top doc martins and clobby wedges standing out with her simple yet perfectly integrated dressing sense with an altruistic touch with a focus on charity.
Her clothes and knack at pairing them make fashion seem both accessible and real.
Here is an interview with her, panning out a few of her opinions and a bit of a peak into where her style comes from. Fan/ hype her on lookbook here http://lookbook.nu/india4e and here are some of our favorite looks of hers. Also, this interview should be a way to urge her to start her own blog, everyone that agrees please tell her that.







What got you interested in fashion?
I think it was the whole idea of looking like a completely different person by the clothes you wore. When I was younger I didn't particularly like my appearance, so by wearing something that people complimented me on and that I felt good in, it made me feel happier about what I looked like. I also love to mix and match things, kind of like a collage of clothes. :)

Your favorite shop/ designers?
I have three top favourites: H&M, New Look and Topshop. They are all your average high street clothes shops, however you can find some really nice pieces in them at pretty cheap prices that are similar to what you see on the catwalk. I also love to shop in charity shops; everything is one of a kind and it is for a good cause.

Name a few of your fashion idols.
I am a big fan of Gwen Stefani. She looks so modern and beautiful in all of her outfits. I am also really interested in Alexa Chung's vintage style, as it's quite traditional but also fun.

Your favorite piece of clothing from your closet?
Ah there's so many! If I had to choose, I would probably either say my faux fur coat, (only £10!) or my comfy, comfy blue jeans with the hole in the knee.

Your biggest fashion pet peeve?
I really dislike those t-shirts that have a print of a tie or a waistcoat on or that say 'No1 Love Potion' on the front. In less literal terms, I hate how some people that are interested in fashion are so narrow-minded with their opinions, even though they are part of one of the most open and broad industries in the world.

One fashion rule you think is ridiculous?
Socks and sandals CAN look good, if they are done in a classy, elegant way. Not grandad style.

What is your favorite of your own looks? (one or more)
I like the look with the pinstripe shirt tucked into high waisted denim shorts. It's really comfy and that shirt was a bargain from a charity shop.






Your favorite artists/ lookbookers/ photographers/ books/ movies?
And if you have a reason for any.
Ok, so I'm a bit of an art freak so I'll only name a few of my favs; Lucien Freud, Egon Schiele, Francis Bacon, Tony Bevan, Jenny Saville, Giacometti, Louise Bourgouise...I could go on! Also, I won't explain why because I'll end up writing an essay. 
My favourite book and author of all time is 'The World According To Garp' by John Irving, however 'The Catcher In The Rye' by J.D Sallinger. 
My favourite movies are Leon, Cinema Paradiso, Me Myself and Irene and obviously all the Scary Movies...:) 
One of my favourite lookbookers is Olivia L, her style is fabulous.

One thing you're saving up for (clothing)
Either a shearling aviator or a pair of riding boots.

What inspires your style?
I get a lot of my ideas from Lookbook of course, as the style is so broad on there and you get to view fashion from all over the world. I also pick up styles from the people around me, music videos and magazine fashion shoots/articles. Sometimes I just look at a piece of clothing and I think YES! This is going to look sick.

Your favorite genre/ era of fashion? and why?
I really enjoy the 50's, as everything is so glamorous and everyone used to wear their clothes with pride and look like they enjoyed wearing them. I also love the 70s punk era.

If there's one person's wardrobe you could have, whose would it be?
Either Alexa Chung's or Twiggy's.

Do you take your own pictures? If yes, what camera do you use and when/ where do you like shooting?
Yes I take them myself. Haha, oh dear, I use probably the worst camera ever. I don't even know what its called but its only got 8.2 megapixels! I always take pictures in my bedroom using a tripod carefully balanced on my bed, and I usually take them on my days off or during the holidays as I am really bloody busy usually.

One odd thing you love? Or anything you would like to share with your audience about yourself?
I think cold chocolate from the fridge and a nice crisp glass of iced water is the best duo. I also like spooning and peanut butter and cheese sandwiches. Not together though...

Tell us about your piercings and tattoos (do they have a story behind each of them?)
Oh lordy. Well, I have ten piercings all together: 5 in my ears, 2 in my neck, 1 in my nostril and 1 in my septum. None of them really have a story apart from they were all pretty much spur of the moment. I definitely plan to get more, and I also tried to stretch both my lobes but they hurt too much. :( I have one tattoo, a small anchor on my right forearm. I am getting a small rose on the opposite side, a patch of leopard print behind my ear and I would love some writing somewhere. However, they are so expensive!

What music do you listen to?
Pretty much anything that sounds good.

What is the soundtrack to your life?
The soundtrack to 'Cinema Paradiso'.

What do you like about the city you live in?
Well its hardly a city, but I love that I am by the sea and most of the kids here are ok.

What is the fashion like in the city you live in?
It is quite poor. There are a select number of people that actually understand the difference between what is socially acceptable and what isn't, however that group is becoming less and less by the day. Haha, I'm joking but seriously some people really need to sort out their wardrobes!

One question you want to ask the next interviewee?
Would you shave your head for charity?

What is one thing you would love to do for the rest of your life?
Draw pictures and write stories. And get paid for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment