Sunday, November 28, 2010

Lauren.

The real life equivalent of Summer Finn (from "(500) Days of Summer") is who we had a chance to interview. Her name is Lauren Winter, she is intensely vintage and has a serious aversion to anything "Sex and the City" and jeggings.

Here's a link to her blog - http://bloomingleopold.blogspot.com/ and her lookbook -  http://lookbook.nu/user/53988-Lauren-W





1. Tell us a bit about yourself.

My name is Lauren and I run Blooming Leopold! I live in Nashville, Tennessee with my husband Neil and our little scruffy dog Bloom. I love to sew and play video games, and I'd prefer shopping in a thrift store over a retail shop any day.

2. Were you always fashion conscious? What got you interested in clothes?

Definitely not! I wasn't really interested in fashion until my later years at college. I became interested when I realized that fashion, in its simplest form, is just self expression - and by dressing the same as everyone else, I was missing out on a great opportunity to express myself. I started branching out and becoming brave with what I wore after that.

3. Who are your inspirations/fashion idols?

My sisters Rhiannon and Ashley!

4. One fictional character you most identify with (clothes wise)?

I'm reading the Sun Also Rises by Hemingway right now, so I'm going to say Lady Brett Ashley - not that I necessarily identify with her, but I at least admire the way she dresses. It takes place in the 1920s in Europe and her style is carefree, uncompromising, boyish yet elegant.

5. Your favorite fashion editorial?

My favorite fashion magazine is Lula, but Teen Vogue has great style as well - more relatable and wearable than Vogue.

6. What's your biggest fashion pet peeve?

Inauthenticity. Don't wear trends because they are trends and don't go against trends just to do so, either - dress the way you genuinely want to.

7. Your favorite musician/artists/authors?

Yeah Yeah Yeahs, White Stripes, M. Ward, Dead Weather, Paul Simon, Avett Brothers. As for authors - Umberto Eco, CS Lewis, Joseph Campbell, Katherine Neville. I'm getting into Alan Moore.

8. Who is your favorite lookbooker and blogger?

My favorite blogger right now is Hannah of hannahandlandon.blogspot.com.. I'm constantly inspired by her. Although I'm biased, I also really love my sister's blog!www.liebemarlene.com

9. Out of all your looks, which one is your favorite?

Probably this shoot where I wore this incredible Gunne Sax dress with a navy velvet bodice.. it's one of my favorite pieces.


   



10. One person whose wardrobe you'd kill for?

Karen Elson's! She's got fantastic style. Or Julia Frakes or Leith Clark.

11. What is the one outfit you think that never goes out of fashion?

The classic black lace cocktail dress - it transcends decades. Black lace always seems to be in style.

12. One piece of clothing every girl should own?

A pair of well tailored, high waisted wool trousers or maybe a cream silk button up blouse.

13. What is your favorite era/genre of fashion and why?

While my favorite era definitely changes, right now it's the 1930s. Women's fashion back then was very ladylike and glamorous - with cross cut bias gowns and soft perms. So tasteful and lovely. A dream dress of mine would be a silk 1930s navy polka dot day dress.

14. What is the one trend you don't understand?

Any trends inspired by Sex and the City.. I can't stand that show. And leg warmers. Can't get into them.

15. What was your style like at 14?

Not very good! Tommy Hilfiger tees and baggy dark wash jeans.

16. What would be the soundtrack to your life?

All sorts of different songs and genres! Although, I'd like it to be written by bands I love.

17. What/who are your three favorite things/people?

My husband Neil, my copy of Foucault's Pendulum by Umberto Eco, and my sewing machine.

18. What would you love to do with the rest of your life?

I don't know if I can pinpoint a specific vocation or place I'd like to live.. but I do know that whatever happens, I want to live passionately and authentically.

19. The previous interviewee asked - if there was one thing you could change about yourself, what would it be?

My inability to live in the present! I seem to always be looking forward or behind. I want to learn how to enjoy the moment.

20. What would you like to ask the next interviewee?

If you could make a million dollars doing anything, what would it be?

21. What is the style like in your city?

Nashville has a large music industry population, and a majority of them dress 1980s hipster style - acid wash skinny jeans, faux hawks, brightly colored mini dresses with wild prints and leggings. There are some great dressers in Nashville, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment